Tuesday 8 November 2016

Costumes

When it comes to filming, I need to make sure that I have sorted all of the necessary costumes that my actors will need to play their roles successfully. As you can see from my character development (here), I only have 3 main characters, and a side character of a police officer who appears briefly at the end. Below I have looked at these characters and talked about the costumes I will use for them with pictures for examples.

  • Clare: Because of Clare's character, I won't really need any specific costumes for her, and will quite easily be able to use clothes that I or my actor already owns. To show her lack of effort with herself, I'm just going to dress her like a typical messy teenager in basic trousers and an over sized hoodie. This will show that she is not really bothered about what she looks like and has no intention to make any effort. The image below is from Google Images, and gives some sort of idea into how I imagine my main character looking. Black isn't the essential colour for her, I simply just want her to look quite messy and also quite confined. In relation to semiotics, that symbolises her as being trapped and sealing herself out from everyone else.

  • Tom: This character's costume isn't too vital as he won't actually be seen much. However I want to portray him to be just like Clare and symbolise him as being trapped and attempting to shut everyone else out. I think that wearing hoodies as clothes helps show this because wearing your hood up over your face comes across as wanting to hide yourself from everyone else. As you can see from my script (here), Tom is seen during the film on his laptop with his hood up, so again like Clare I will dress this character in similar clothes. Having both of these characters wearing similar clothes and representing the same thing will help the audience understand why Clare trusts him so easily. An image below from Google helps me to visualise this character. Like Clare's costume, these clothes will be easy to get a hold of and won't require any new purchases.

  • Clare's Mum: This character is seen at the start of the film sitting on her sofa, and at the end of the film when she is being told about Clare's death. For both of these scenes I plan to have her in the same clothes, simply to show her lack of effort with herself. I want the clothes she wears to be extremely scruffy and old, and to portray her as being a bad Mum as much as possible. I think that having her wearing something simple like a dressing gown will work, because it will show that when Clare gets home from school at '16:00', her Mum still hasn't made the effort to get dressed. The idea is that Clare's Mum really does not care about her, and hasn't really made any effort to bring her up, hence why she see's nothing wrong with meeting up with a stranger through the internet. The dressing gown below is an example of what she will wear.

  • Police Officer: At the end of the film, a police officer will come to Clare's door to tell her Mum about her daughters death. To make this scene appear as realistic as possible, the costume here is very important. I'm going to get someone older to play this role, and will look more at this in my next post on actors. For the costume itself, I will dress the actor in a suit which they will hopefully already own. The suit will be black trousers, white shirt with a black tie. Then, in order to make it clear to the audience that this person is a policeman, I'm going to use a police officers hat. The general conventions of an officer telling a family member someone has died is the idea of them holding their hat in their whilst they knock on the door.  My Dad is a police officer, and is looking into getting hold of a hat I can use for this one scene. I'm awaiting permission. 
Reflective Comment:
The planning is coming along well for my production with the script, location, and costumes now all been thought about. I think I did this post very well and talked in depth about each character and what I want their costumes to represent. To make this better, I could have shown my actual actors in their costumes, but I haven't quite sorted this out yet. My next post will be about my actors, and will include profiles of who I've decided to use and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment