Thursday 12 January 2017

Editing Research - Text Message Effect

As I've mentioned before, when I edit my piece I want to include an effect that displays what my main character (Clare) is saying to the boy she meets online (Tom). Below are some examples of this effect and these have acted as an inspiration for me:


By including this in my piece, it will mean that I can engage my audience with the conversations Clare is having with Tom on her laptop. It also means that I won't have to rely on my camera focusing on the laptop screen to see their conversations, as this can be hard to achieve with focus, and the fact that it makes the film boring to have to watch a laptop screen. I started to look online to attempt to find ways in which to do this, and the main thing that came up as a recommendation was Adobe After Effects. I have considered using this software but after looking I found that the cost of it is very high, and free trials have been reduced to 7 days meaning I wouldn't have it for long enough. Instead, I've downloaded a 30 day trail for Final Cut Pro which allows me to create a similar type of thing. 

I've been looking a more simpler way of doing this and have been using Sherlock as the inspiration. The text message effect in Sherlock is much simpler and does not actually include some sort of bubble, and the text is instead just displayed on the screen. An example of this is below:


As you can see from this screenshot, the message from the text is very simpler and just appears on screen. This could be used for me as a last resort, but I do want to try and add an actual text effect like the ones at the start of this post. When it comes to my editing process I will have to see what I can do.

Reflective Comment:
This post has allowed me to look at the different options I have when editing the text message effect onto my film. I am a bit concerned about how I'm going to do this because I'm not familiar with the effects that Final Cut Pro offers. When all my filming is done which will hopefully be soon I can play around with the effects and work out what is best to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment