Tuesday 20 September 2016

Demographics and Psychographics

Below is a SlideShare we looked at in class together that helped me greatly in understanding the terms 'Demographics' and 'Psychographics'. Below the SlideShare is the way I've related these two terms to my production.
As you can from the third slide on the SlideShare, there is a demographics table that ranks different audiences into different categories (letters A-E). On the fourth slide, it then talks about how the thrillers can be aimed at any of the categories in the demographics table as they don't have a set audience. Because my film is mostly a thriller (partly horror), I think this could apply for it. However, because of the content that will feature in my film and the fact that I'm specifically aiming it at a younger generation, categories A, B, and C1 are likely to not be included as they are more older people. Instead, categories C2, D, and E will most likely feature the people I'm aiming my film at as these categories feature the more younger generation rather than an older one. Specifically category E, as they are 'unemployed students'.

Moving on in the SlideShare, slide six has a psychographics table that divides audiences into different categories. From looking at this table, I think that the main categories that suit the audience of my film could be 'aspirers', 'explorers', and 'strugglers'. All of these are aimed at more of a younger generation which suits the audience of my film.
The 'aspirers' could be my main audience as they talk about the way they seek status and are focused on image and appearance which is predominantly young people. However, this category probably doesn't best suit the audience for my film.
The 'explorers' are all about energy and experience, and how they value adventure, I think this is more suited for the audience as my film as these things mainly describe the younger generation, typically students who are the main people I want to aim my film at.
The 'strugglers' are people who seek escape and have a lack of education and intelligence. Some of these people could be part of the younger generation and so it could work as an audience, but I think that this category could also feature a lot of people from a much older generation and so I don't think this is best suited for my film.
Overall, I think the 'explorers' are the best suited psychographic category for my film as they relate to the students I want to aim my production at mostly.

Reflective Comment:
This task was very useful for me as it allowed me to further narrow down my audience and categorise them. Having said this, I've known for a while who I plan to aim my film at so with this task it was just a case of deciding which one worked best rather than picking a new one or considering different ones. If I were to improve this task, I would consider how other audiences might enjoy my film, but like I've said, this wouldn't be too beneficial to me as I have already chosen my target audience and narrowed it down completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment